Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To Drive or Not to Drive





After hitting Happy Hour up at Sonic, I decided that it was time to clean up the carpet of my car. I was really tired of seeing the orange chip crumbs on the floorboard. So, I maneuver myself next door to the car wash. Pulling up to the first vacuum cleaner station,my money gets stuck. I have to pry my money out with a hair pin. Determined to clean my car, I pull up to the vacuum station. While pulling up, I run smack dab into the concrete block holding the vacuum cleaners. Hearing my fender and bumper connect with the concrete block, I cringe. Hoping that the damage isn't too bad, I get out of my car. To my dismay, the fender and bumper is crumpled up. The passenger door is hard to open. My heart sanks. All I wanted to do was clean the crumbs the children left. For a 75 cents vacuum session, I have caused almost 3,000 worth of damage to the right passenger side of my car.

However, the drama doesn't end there. I call Kwandis to explain what happen. Then I call Farm Bureau, our insurance company, and make the claim. When I go get the first estimate from Roger Dabbs, I am told to call the insurance company again. because of the contact between the tire and the damage, I might have another problem. I was told to find out about rental coverage.

Already upset, I call Farm Bureau again and tell them the situation. I am given another number to call. On the way to Capitol Body shop, I call the number. That's where I come in contact with Pam Jones at the adjuster's office. To my dismay, Pam is rude. She cuts me off several times. Frustrated with the poor customer service, I ask her why she is being rude. Lucky for me, Pam is willing to instruct me that they close at 4:30, she is working late, she just happen to answer the phone, she can't help me, she tells me to call back tomorrow, she tells me I do have full coverage for the rental car, but she still can't help me. Making a point to ask for her last name, she happily gives me her last name. Apparently Pam doesn't care if I make a complaint or not. It won't change the fact that she is working late.

What is really frustrating is I called the second number because that I was worried about having a blow-up or something with my crew of three kids. I did let Pam know that as well. Even that didn't change her disgust with me for calling at 4:30. What happen to taking care of the customer? What happened to customer service? I have been with Farm Bureau for years. Being treated this way makes Allstate and even State Farm look better and better.

After getting the same disappointment from Capitol Body (estimate still over $2000), I make one final stop at Barnett's. The receptionist was so nice. Shout out to Kasey. She let me vent. She even gave me a handful of Tootsie Rolls for the bad day and suckers for the crew. The wait was a little long, but that was okay. They were really nice. I think they found me interesting. Just hope they don't recognize me. I was so not looking like an image consultant today.

Through it all the kids enjoyed themselves. Trying to keep them busy, I had the portable dvd on. However, Jasmine even managed to roll down her window and call every man that passed by Daddy. I knew this because one of the appraisers asked a customer if she had heard a child saying Daddy. The funny part was that he was of a different race. He actually turned red.

So what a day. Well, the good news is. The crumbs are gone.

1 comment:

dacia said...

You're an excellent driver but, eventually everyone has an accident of some sort. I would email a kind but firm notice to the company president about the rude customer service (or lack thereof).People must learn to work UNTIL the very moment they clock out. You may also notify the Better Business Bureau. They REALLY investigate EVERY case. I can personally testify. In the meantime, please be careful in your car because nobody else will mother your kids like you.

About Me

My photo
Cassandra Hawkins-Wilson is Founder & President of Sensational Image Consulting, a professional image consulting firm based in the Metro Jackson Mississippi Area. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in English and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Jackson State University. As a instructor with Millsaps College Enrichment Program and an experienced public speaker and seminar leader, Cassandra is experienced in image training. Working with individuals from business executives to universities. With over 12 years experience in retail/fashion industry, education, and Mary Kay Cosmetics, she has designed and delivered workshops and seminars on appearance, communication skills, and business etiquette. Cassandra’s loves working with individual clients to assist one-on-one with professional development, visual, nonverbal, interpersonal communication, and presentation skills. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to various journals and published author.