Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sick with three kids


I have been off and on sick now for about two weeks. Saturday, I realized that it is actually sinus and allergy problems. However, Monday was unbearable. The sneezing, runny nose, coughing, hard time breathing, and on and on goes the list of complaints. As I was taking my son to soccer practice, I almost wreck from sneezing. At one point, I came to a complete stop in the middle of the road (praying that Brandon police would not pull me over). Sitting in the freshly cut grass soccer field behind First Baptist didn't help at all. Within 30 minutes I was having a hard time breathing. Walking through the freshly cut grass, I just knew I was going to pass out. Then I had to convince my son to leave practice. After about four more headbutts, he finally gave in to my pleas.

Sitting in the waiting room of the MEA Clinic on Airport Road, I tried to ignore the other stares of patients and continue to wrestle with Jake the Snake, entertain The Soccer Pro, and ignore the loud whining/non tears crying of the Two Year Old, while battling sneezes. Jake the Snake decides that my Nokia PDA is a great teething ring. Not paying him much attention, I let him enjoy it. He's being quiet. No harm right? SO WRONG? My very expensive phone became drenched in baby drool. No phone. No signal. Red dot. Dripping PDA interior. That was only the beginning.

Finally getting back to the cramped examination room, The Two Year Old decides that this is a perfect time to see how loud she could cry. All the threatening, coaxing, mean mugging, and bribing failed. After wrestling with Jake the Snake, sneezing, and drying phone out on a Kleenex, I decided to give in. I somehow juggle The Two Year Old and Jake the Snake on a examining bed. As soon as the Doctor arrives the Two Year Old decides it's show time. Amongst the loud screaming, Jake the Snake crying, sneezing, coughing,and being examined by the doctor all I can remember is wishing I was somewhere else.

As we are leaving, the Two Year Old show continues down the corridor. I usually get annoyed when people see me with three children and they reply, "You have your hands full." This time I quickly reminded myself and the receptionist, "Yep I have wonderful blessings. She asked me if I needed a work excuse. I told her that as a SAHM I still have to report to work - rain or shine, sick or well. As we are leaving, Two Year Old says Goodbye and continues her show through the waiting room and out the door.

The Conclusion:
No cellphone, headache, sick, sneezing, and miserable. Yet, I have to suck it up. What's really sad is I didn't know what my diagnosis was until I got home and searched for the codes online: bronchitis and sinusitis. What a combination. With me nursing, all the medication is non-drowsy. Boy, what I wouldn't do for some good drowsy medication, but I am too afraid of what I would find when I woke up.

I have such a hardworking husband, but sometimes what I wouldn't give for him to have a 9-5 or 8-5. Well enough venting for me, The Soccer Pro and the TWO Year old are at it again. Jake the Snake is soundly sleepy. Hopefully, we can get everyone back on routine.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cassandra Hawkins-Wilson is Founder & President of Sensational Image Consulting, a professional image consulting firm based in the Metro Jackson Mississippi Area. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in English and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Jackson State University. As a instructor with Millsaps College Enrichment Program and an experienced public speaker and seminar leader, Cassandra is experienced in image training. Working with individuals from business executives to universities. With over 12 years experience in retail/fashion industry, education, and Mary Kay Cosmetics, she has designed and delivered workshops and seminars on appearance, communication skills, and business etiquette. Cassandra’s loves working with individual clients to assist one-on-one with professional development, visual, nonverbal, interpersonal communication, and presentation skills. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to various journals and published author.