Saturday, May 17, 2008

The One Day Pet


On May 7, 2008, we found a turle on the road, coming back from dropping off Jeremiah. Remembering my father getting us one many times from the road, I stopped on the side of the road, and I put the turtle in a small laundry basket, which I found in my trunk. Taking the turtle home was really exciting. Jasmine was so elated. Having the turtle on top of my car, I hoped that Princess, one of our dogs, wouldn't try to get it. However, the turtle was smarter than me. It turned the basket over. It proceeded to crawl away.

Well, trying to at least keep it until Jeremiah came home from school, I found a bucket. Again, I placed it on the top of my car. Looking at the blue bucket, I could see the shadow of the turtle trying to climb out of the bucket. But, I had outsmarted the turtle. The turtle was really fascinating to me. It wasn't afraid. It's head was out the majoritiy of the time. I also didn't expect it to figure out how to escape.

Maybe, it had been captured several times before. I videotaped it breathing and trying to escaped. When Jeremiah finally got home, I told him I had a surprise. He guessed a turtle on the first try. Apparently, one of his classmates had brought one to school that day.

When we came home, Jeremiah looked at it. He quickly decided that he wanted to set it free. I couldn't believe it. Kwandis and I had talked about going to Petsmart to find a cage and keep it. I was more disappointed than he was. It clearly showed. However, I followed his wishes and released the turtle through a hole in backyard fence, protecting it from Princess.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cassandra Hawkins-Wilson is Founder & President of Sensational Image Consulting, a professional image consulting firm based in the Metro Jackson Mississippi Area. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in English and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Jackson State University. As a instructor with Millsaps College Enrichment Program and an experienced public speaker and seminar leader, Cassandra is experienced in image training. Working with individuals from business executives to universities. With over 12 years experience in retail/fashion industry, education, and Mary Kay Cosmetics, she has designed and delivered workshops and seminars on appearance, communication skills, and business etiquette. Cassandra’s loves working with individual clients to assist one-on-one with professional development, visual, nonverbal, interpersonal communication, and presentation skills. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to various journals and published author.