Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Women


I just finished watching the movie, The Women. This movie was really great. There were so many lessons to learn from it. However, what really grabbed my attention was the question, "What do I want." Mary Haynes used it as her storyboard to create her awesome fashion collection. That question is forever embedded in my brain. I have been so worried about my children, my marriage, my family, and my students. Having myself in the equation somehow wasn't important. There are so many things I want to accomplish, but somehow I fall short of doing them. Partly from fear of failure and partly because I put others first. When someone asks me, "What makes you happy?" I stare at them confused. In my mind, being married with children has always be associated with happiness. Well, now I am clear that that doesn't make you happy. I am on a new journey, just in time for the new year. I am working on me. I am going to find my happiness and hopefully everything else will fall into place. I have always wished for a best friend, but I dare to allow anyone close enough. I am so afraid of people not liking who I am. I worry about the wrong things. I am determined to work on me for me. If you like me, then that's fine. If I don't fit with you, then that's fine too. These are two things that I will be working on. I am working to understand, believe, and practice...True happiness lies within and not with someone else. Apparently, the movie was my confirmation.


1 comment:

Kayra said...

Good for you! Happy New Year!

About Me

My photo
Cassandra Hawkins-Wilson is Founder & President of Sensational Image Consulting, a professional image consulting firm based in the Metro Jackson Mississippi Area. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in English and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Jackson State University. As a instructor with Millsaps College Enrichment Program and an experienced public speaker and seminar leader, Cassandra is experienced in image training. Working with individuals from business executives to universities. With over 12 years experience in retail/fashion industry, education, and Mary Kay Cosmetics, she has designed and delivered workshops and seminars on appearance, communication skills, and business etiquette. Cassandra’s loves working with individual clients to assist one-on-one with professional development, visual, nonverbal, interpersonal communication, and presentation skills. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to various journals and published author.