Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hearing My Own Voice

Hearing my own voice, knowing that it is my voice, and including my voice in my writings, whether creative or academic, has been so powerful. I love how it sounds. When I write now, my voice speaks to me and makes it easier to focus on what I am writing. It’s now easier to accept who I am in my writing. I am no longer to trying to be “the” prolific writer with a forced voice. Amazingly, I am a prolific writer with my own voice. Not having the feelings to force my talent as a writer as transformed how I write, how I think, and how I feel about me. The adventure I am currently a part of, the University of Mississippi Writing Project Summer Institute 2009, has not only helped me as a writer but as an individual. I am now able to appreciate myself more. I am able to stop comparing what I am doing to what others are doing. Learning to embrace my own thought process, my writings, my voice in my writings, I have actually began to embrace myself as a whole. Funny how a writing institute has transformed my ability to write and transformed how I feel about myself.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cassandra Hawkins-Wilson is Founder & President of Sensational Image Consulting, a professional image consulting firm based in the Metro Jackson Mississippi Area. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in English and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Jackson State University. As a instructor with Millsaps College Enrichment Program and an experienced public speaker and seminar leader, Cassandra is experienced in image training. Working with individuals from business executives to universities. With over 12 years experience in retail/fashion industry, education, and Mary Kay Cosmetics, she has designed and delivered workshops and seminars on appearance, communication skills, and business etiquette. Cassandra’s loves working with individual clients to assist one-on-one with professional development, visual, nonverbal, interpersonal communication, and presentation skills. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to various journals and published author.